Monday, December 31, 2007

Crock Pot Capers

Here's what I had for lunch today. My sister and I made it Sunday afternoon in the crock pot she gave me several Christmases back. Tasty!



As I mentioned, my sister gave me the slow cooker several Christmases ago, but being fundamentally a bachelor, a lazy slug and a somewhat kitchen-phobic guy, I put off making anything and kept shoving it to the back of the closet. When Susan came to visit this weekend, we decided the time had come for a cooking class. We found a minestrone recipe from the Fix -It and Forget-It Cookbook (p. 68) that looked promising and set to work. My sister made stock from bouillon and chopped the onions, but I dumped in the other ingredients from cans, bags of frozen vegetables, and a box of spaghetti. I think we substituted garlic powder for garlic cloves and some pre-mixed Italian spices for the basil, oregano, and a bay leaf. How could I have missed this? Dump the ingredients in a pot and cook them for several hours until until they're done? Even I can do that! And it's a pleasure to have a meal that didn't come out of a cardboard box with Healthy Choice™ or Lean Cuisine™ on the side. Take that, evil corporate agribusiness military-industrial-food complex! Now where did I put that microwave cookbook?

No comments: