Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Macaroni Madness

funny pictures
moar funny pictures

Last week, I reported on my efforts to make minestrone using a crock pot my sister had given me. This weekend, I made macaroni and cheese using a recipe my sister clipped from the newspaper. Here it is:

Cooking oil spray
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1 can (15 oz.) skim evaporated milk
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups pre-shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups (8 oz.) uncooked elbow macaroni


Spray the pot of the slow cooker with cooking oil spray. Measure the skim milk into a 4-cup or larger glass [or?] container. Add the evaporated milk, egg, salt, and pepper and mix well with a wire whisk or fork. Pour the milk mixture into the crock. Add the cheese and macaroni. Stir gently to mix.

Turn the slow cooker on low for 3 1/2-4 hours or until the custard is set in the center and the macaroni is tender. (Do not cook longer than 4 hours, or the sides will begin to dry out and burn.) Serve at once.

Serves 4 as a main dish or 6 as a side dish.

Hat Tip to my friend Bill who purchased the ingredients.

The recipe as written seemed to call for the ingredients to be mixed "in a 4-cup or larger glass container." I couldn't see why the container needed to be glass; I mixed the ingredients in a large plastic bowl, and everything came out fine. I thought maybe the reference to a glass container was a typo. The salt and pepper are completely optional. I didn't have any handy, but it still came out fine.

My sister and I collaborated on the minestrone, but the mac and cheese was my first solo effort as a cook. I know I should have provided photographic evidence of this stupendous feat, but I was having too much fun eating it. The cat tells the story. Bon appétit!

No comments: