Monday, March 31, 2008

Talkin' Turkey


From time to time I've reported on my experiments in crock pot cookery. This weekend, I may have had my biggest success yet. I'm president of the local Praesidium (chapter) of The Legion of Mary, and every year all the praesidia in a given jurisdiction (known as a Curia) get together on a Marian feast day for a ceremony known as the Acies. Our curia holds its Acies on the Saturday nearest the Feast of the Annunciation. There's a Mass followed by a covered dish supper. It's a wonderful opportunity to share faith, food, and fellowship. This year, I got really brave and decided to try a turkey breast recipe I found and bring it along. It must have been a success because one of my fellow legionaries asked for the recipe, so I thought I'd share it. This recipe for "Easy and Delicious Turkey Breast" really does live up to its name! I got it from The Fix It and Forget It Cookbook: Feasting with Your Slow Cooker, by Dawn J. Ranck and Phyllis Pellman Good. (p. 196).

Easy and Delicious Turkey Breast
(submitted by Gail Bush of Landenberg, PA)

1 turkey breast

15 oz. can whole berry cranberry sauce

1 envelope dry onion soup mix

1/2 cup orange juice

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1. Place turkey in slow cooker.

2. Combine remaining ingredients. Pour over turkey.

3. Cover. Cook on LOW 6-8 hours.

That's all there is to it! You should have a lot of sauce that will keep the turkey moist. I'd recommend serving this with rice or mashed potatoes or even thick slices of bread. Hope you enjoy it!

1 comment:

K T Cat said...

Wow! That sounds delicious. Tart turkey with fruitiness. I'll have to try this.