Thursday, May 21, 2009

My 15 Minutes of Fame

Well, Good Golly, Miss Molly! I'm almost famous.

It seems my recent review of Alan Moore's graphic novel Watchmen has come to the attention of some bloggers I really respect, including John C. Wright, Mark Shea, and some other folks who have asked me to be a guest blogger at ModernConservative.com

Recently, John C. Wright, author of science fiction, master of obscure pop culture references, moral philosopher of the blogosphere, and recent Catholic convert, blogged about how much he hated the film version of Alan Moore's graphic novel V for Vendetta. In the comments I mentioned that I had a very similar reaction to Watchmen and included the link to my review in my comment.

Then, I'll be darned if Mr. Wright didn't actually read the review, quoting it approvingly and at length in a post on his own website. He was particularly impressed with the way in which I was able to cite a pop culture icon of yesteryear, The Shadow, and the great Catholic apologist G. K. Chesterton, in the same essay. Mr. Wright observed:

My comment: Anyone who mentions both Chesterton and The Shadow in the same paragraph has won my favor, and therefore shall be made one of my ministers and granted way-cool ninja-jedi Mind Control powers, once my dirigible planet enters the solar system from the transplutonian darkness. Perhaps I will make him master of Australia, and wed him to my beautiful but evil daughter, Princess Aura.


To which I replied:

You are far too gracious, O Mighty One! I'd settle for the flight powers of the Hawkmen and a ride in your dirigible planet. I'm sure your beautiful but evil daughter Princess Aura is a swell gal, in an evil sort of way, but she's not gonna, like, murder me in my sleep or anything, is she? Just askin'.


This exchange, in turn, came to the attention of Mark Shea, who is, in my humble opinion, the dean of the Catholic blogosphere. He wrote that my essay was "full of wisdom and insight." Imagine! Mark Shea said that something written by li'l ol' me was "full of wisdom and insight." I'm all tingly. Usually the stuff I write around here is definitely full of . . . something . . . but it ain't wisdom and insight!

In the comments to a subsequent post, I received an invitation from one David Marcoe to be a guest blogger for the Modern Conservative website. We corresponded at length, and I am still waiting for final word as to whether they would like me to blog for them. I may include my e-mail to them as a future post.

Stay tuned.

No comments: