Saturday, December 25, 2010

Two Irish Carols

A Merry Christmas to everybody and a Happy New Year to the whole world! As anyone who reads this blog knows, I love all things Irish, Scottish, and Welsh since many of my ancestors came from that part of the world. Here are two favorite Irish Christmas carols. First up is "The Wexford Carol" performed by Alison Krauss and accompanied by Yo-Yo Ma; one of my favorite carols performed by one of my favorite singers.



Next up is "Don Oíche Úd I mBeithil ("I Sing of a Night in Bethlehem") performed by The Chieftains with Burgess Meredith. Mr. Meredith will read an English translation of the song followed by Kevin Conneff's rendition in Irish Gaelic. This is believed to be the only known example of a Christmas carol in Irish.



Merry Christmas!

No comments: